Monday, July 27, 2009


Heaven on a hot day:
Homemade Blueberry Cobbl
er

I love blueberry season. Not just because blueberries are luscious, of course, but because I love to bake. Yes, it's my little secret. Not very feminist of me, I know, but domestic as it is, baking is one of my joys in life. Perhaps, it's time to come out of the closet, so to speak.

Ever since my Grandmother Gallacher taught me to make her scones, I've been hooked on baking. I became the family cookie maker and when my children were little, I developed dozens of muffin recipes for their snacks. True to my creative side, I'm always coming up with new recipes or modifying old ones, and although I do have a library of cookbooks, I rarely follow these recipes. I use them as concepts or guidelines or a jumping off point to something I'd like to bake. Although, I love my Grandmother's traditional scone recipe, I've made my own creations based on it such as Poppyseed Lemon Scones, Chocolate Raspberry and Maple Oatmeal to name a few. I'm not sure she'd be happy with me about that, but oh well.

Today's piece of heaven is a blueberry cobbler that I baked using a filling of fresh, local blueberries, sugar, tapioca and lemon juice topped with a variation of my Grandmother's scone recipe. Serve it warm or on a day like today, cold with a generous dollop of yogurt. Yum!


It's a little slice of heaven on a day when it's already 99 degrees outside and it's only 1pm. This is not my kind of summer day, which is why I live in Portland, Oregon, to be able to have moderate summer weather with highs in the mid 80's to low 90's. But, Mother Nature has her own ideas.

So I'm glad that the other day, I had the idea to bake this cobbler and today I get to enjoy it! It's delicious coolness of such a hot day.


2 comments:

ColorJoy LynnH said...

I don't like to cook much, but I alternate between just "not minding" to bake... all the way to "loving" the creative process.

I find it hard to think of baking as domestic. I'm not domestic at all... have no children, pets, houseplants... don't like to clean or "decorate" the house.

I think food is self-nurturance, self-care, self-love, even. Good food, that is. Made at home with good ingredients... like fresh berries.

For me, baking involves a lot of creativity because I have so many allergies, I can not use any standard recipe verbatim. However, when I get it right, it's magic.

I made over a dozen pancake recipes before I got one I loved. Once I get something right, it's magic and I want to do it again.

Someday... I hope to assemble a no-wheat, no-corn, no-nuts, no-dairy, no-egg, potato, etc., etc. cookbook. In my spare time, right?

The cobbler photo is perfect. Totally made from scratch. Love it.

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

Lynn,
I agree...food and making or baking good food is self nurturing and when my kids were little about nurturing them as well.

Now that they are almost grown up, I guess its time to get back to baking and making as a form of self-care.

Thanks for the reminder. It's wonderful that you're using your creativity to find ways to 'feed' yourself and your soul!

Susan GT