Tuesday, April 17, 2007




Inspiration comes from strange places sometimes.
(Artwork: Ball masque, 'Wolf')


My husband and I went to see a play called, "Defending the Caveman". I expected a play about men. What I didn't expect is that it is also a play about women. It was hilarous! But it was also sweet, warm, silly and true.


It cleared up alot of misunderstandings that I had in my mind about men. It also cleared up some of my misunderstandings about women, too. I left feeling like I had a whole new way to relate to my husband and son as well as my daugther and friends.


According to the play, cavemen were the hunters. So they needed to be able to confer on what was to be hunted, figure out a strategy, then go hunt in complete silence. Sound familiar? Sure it does. Men act the same way today, it's just the prey that's changed. Think sports. Think driving the car to a specific destination without stopping and never asking directions once in route. Think TV and remote.


Also, according to the play, cavewomen were gatherers. So they needed to wander the fields and forests looking, touching and tasting new foods and fibers. Sound familiar? Sure! Women do all these same things, today, too. Think shopping. Think cooking. Think group activities involving lots of communal activity and talking.


It was a fun, funny, delightful play that taught me alot about cavemen but also helped me see myself, cavewoman, in a whole new way, too.



2 comments:

Janet Grace Riehl said...

Susan, I love your images! I love your perceptions of cave men as hunters and how that might apply to our lives now...thanks for tellling us about the play.

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

Janet,
I'm so glad you stopped by! And thank you so much for your thoughtful compliments on my work.