Monday, February 25, 2008


Blogtour Stop Thursday:

An interview with Eric Maisel

"The Van Gogh Blues: The Creative Person's Path through Depression"


I'm looking forward to talking with author, psychotherapist and creativity coach, Eric Maisel about his book and how artists can chart a new course through depression to a more meaningful creative path.


I know as an artist my work is an important source of meaning in my life. It is work I do because it is meaningful to me, but what happens when meaning gets de-railed by self-doubt or critism? According to Eric Maisel, this is a meaning crisis. And that our way out of this crisis and back to our job as a creative person, is to become our own meaning expert. I, you, we have to 'opt to matter'.


Sounds easy. But, this is where it gets tricky. Any artist facing a blank canvas wonders, "Do my efforts really matter?" The answer is really simple. You choose to matter. You choose to live, create and relate in ways that matter to you. And that's the way you stay on the meaningful, creative path.


But how do you overcome the anxiety that keeps your brush in mid-air? How do you bravely make your own meaning everyday? How do you recognize self-sabotage and walk through it and beyond it?


Join me here on Thursday, when Eric answers these questions and more.

1 comment:

Janet Grace Riehl said...

Susan,

Looking forward to your Eric Maisel interview.

I've tagged you for a "getting to know you" meme. Play if you find it fun.

Janet Riehl
www.riehlife.com